Telnet and WWW

From: <Jonsm@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 18:30:18 -0400
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
I'm working on hooking up Telnet URLs to a telnet package. These URLs can
contain an embedded user name and password. Can someone explain to me how the
username/password is passed back to the telnet host? Is this done using the
telnet authenticate protocol or is it something simpler like automatically
sending the user/pass as the first two lines of the session or is it
something else?

Is there a newsgroup for asking telnet protocol questions? I couldn't locate
one.

Thanks for the help,
Jon Smirl, jonsm@aol.com