How do I tab in HTML

From: Staff <staff@csu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 95 16:45:20 -0700
To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Dear all,

Please excuse my ignorance.  I have browsed the discussion pages on the
web regarding construction of tables in HTML,  and I now assume it's a
difficult problem.  Is this the same problem for putting in tabs into
one's text?  For example,  other than in preformatted text,  what command
do I use to tab accross a page to line up data in columns?  eg:

   Apples      123     456
   Bananas     789     012
   Oranges     345     678

etc.

Please advise if you can.  Have I missed something obvious?

Nick Klomp