Re: making old text publicly available on the web

Dan Riley dsr@lns598.lns.cornell.edu wrote:
>My reading of this is that a web browser ought to handle FF and TAB in
>text/plain in the traditional fashion.
Solves my problem with reports generated from queries to the database.
One question: Does the same apply to <PRE> ?

About existing paged documents:
Dmitry Mishin" <ptitz@dux.ru: wrote
> <DIV CLASS=someting ID=partid> - would be ideal
as others pointed out page is not a part of the hierarchical structure
of a document so DIV might not be appropriate.
Benjamin C. W. Sittler bsittler@nmt.edu wrote:
>why not just use <SPOT ID=#>

If there was generated <SPOT ID=original_page_number CLASS=PAGE>
at the start of each page in the original paged document
the ToC and INDEX could be converted almost automatically
and external references to pages in such web documents could be converted
to anchors without having to look at the mark-up of the documents.
Then there would be the possibility of printing the documnet
with the original pageing and having a browser jump pages
through the document.
Is there a strong reason why CLASS is not an attribute of SPOT?
--
Thorvaldur Gunnlaugsson       \           The Parliament of Iceland
thg@althingi.is                \         comp. departm.  Vonarstr 8