Re: Comment on XML 2 Events

Greetings, I do not seem to be able to find a version of the XML Events 2
specification that includes a <purpose> element. However, I believe that
the notion is a good one though I do not believe that it goes far enough.

XForms allows three pieces of information to be associated with an action,
each of which can be used in different circumstances. These are the

The latest version of the XML Events 2 spec is lacking in examples in the
Handlers section [2]. Something along the lines of the following is what I
have in mind:

<action id="doThis">
  <label>Do This</label>
  <hint>performing this action will delight you.</hint>
</action>

and to allow the same ability with a script handler. . .

<action id="doThat">
  <label>Do That</label>
  <hint>performing this action will delight you.</hint>
  <script type="application/x-javascript">
   doactivate(event);
  </script>
</action>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/#ui-commonelems
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-events-20070216/#s_handler_module_elements

Regards, Roland

Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Sent by: public-xhtml2-request@w3.org
11/11/2007 21:53

Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
cc
public-xhtml2@w3.org, www-html-editor@w3.org
Subject
Re: Comment on XML 2 Events

Hi Rich,

Yes, I just re-read your email, and realised what you were saying.
Sorry about that.

However, using an element in this way sounds just like the plain text
equivalent of @role, which therefore means it would probably have
wider applicability than just <action>. I wonder if we should look at
trying to generalise this.

Any thoughts on that?

Regards,

Mark