Re: Comment on XML 2 Events

Roland,

I agree that this is much better than just having a <purpose> element and
it is consistent with XForms. Currently, platform accessiblity API on
Windows (IAccessible2) and Linux allow us to provide a descrpiption of the
handler which you would call <hint>. The label allows a short name for the
function. We could add that capability in the platform accessibility apis.

In ODF we provide short names and long descriptions (like hints) for all
drawing objects and image maps links. Where this is extremely valuable is
when a user, who is blind, needs to make a decision as to whether to
perform an action or not - such as a purchase. Role is a type applied to
objects and really does not apply to event handlers.

So, if this is a proposal I support it.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Roland Merrick
             <roland_merrick@u
             k.ibm.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  Mark Birbeck
             public-xhtml2-req         <Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net>, Richard
             uest@w3.org               Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                        cc
                                       public-xhtml2@w3.org,
             11/14/2007 07:42          www-html-editor@w3.org
                                       Re: Comment on XML 2 Events

Greetings, I do not seem to be able to find a version of the XML Events 2
specification that includes a <purpose> element. However, I believe that
the notion is a good one though I do not believe that it goes far enough.

XForms allows three pieces of information to be associated with an action,
each of which can be used in different circumstances. These are the

The latest version of the XML Events 2 spec is lacking in examples in the
Handlers section [2]. Something along the lines of the following is what I
have in mind:

<action id="doThis">
  <label>Do This</label>
  <hint>performing this action will delight you.</hint>
</action>

and to allow the same ability with a script handler. . .

<action id="doThat">
  <label>Do That</label>
  <hint>performing this action will delight you.</hint>.
  <script type="application/x-javascript">
   doactivate(event);
  </script>
</action>

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/#ui-commonelems
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-events-20070216/#s_handler_module_elements

Regards, Roland

 Mark Birbeck
 <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
 Sent by:
 public-xhtml2-request@w3.org                                           To
                                                  Richard Schwerdtfeger
                                                  <schwer@us.ibm.com>
 11/11/2007 21:53                                                       cc
                                                  public-xhtml2@w3.org,
                                                  www-html-editor@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                                  Re: Comment on XML 2
                                                  Events

Hi Rich,

Yes, I just re-read your email, and realised what you were saying.
Sorry about that.

However, using an element in this way sounds just like the plain text
equivalent of @role, which therefore means it would probably have
wider applicability than just <action>. I wonder if we should look at
trying to generalise this.

Any thoughts on that?

Regards,

Mark