  • From: Shane P. McCarron <shane@themacs.com>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:21:51 -0600
  • Subject: Some editorial observations about 4.0
  • To: connolly@w3.org
Thanks again for your help in determining the changes between the public
review draft and the final version.  I ended up taking my review copy and
comparing it side by side with the final after reading your comments, but
they helped me to focus my attention on specific areas.  I note for the
record that you corrected many of the errors that I was going to point out
in my review before you and I talked in December and I elected to not send
it in :-)

I do have a few additional editorial comments and a question. First the
question.

In the course of developing the HTML 3.2 test suite, I took an HTML version
of the HTML 3.2 spec and added anchors everywhere there was an assertion
that we were testing. This allowed us to tie the tests directly into the
spec, greating increasing the utility of the test suite. I have not yet
done this for HTML 4.0.  Is it okay if I do this?  I didn't ask for
permission on the last one, but I should have.

Now the comments.  Note that I did not do an extensive technical edit on
this docuemnt, but I did notice the following problems in a first pass:

In section 6.3, the second sentence reads "For introductor about
attributes, ..." I think there is some text missing.

In section 11.2.6, in the portion entitled "Cells that span several rows or
columns", paragraph 2 reads "In this table definition, we specify that the
cell in row four, column two should span a total of three columns,
including the current row."  I think it should read "...including the
current column."

In section 12.1.5, the second paragraph reads "the hreflang attribute
procides user agents about the language of a..." I think that some text is
missing.

In section 12.2, a question that might need an interpretation: If the type=
attribute indicates a certain type, but the HTTP server returns a
Content-type header that says something else, what is the defined behavior?

In section 13.2, another question that might need an interpretation: The
IMG element now has a longdesc attribute.  If this attribute points to a
URL, selecting the IMG presumably takes the browser to that URL.  If the
IMG element is enclosed in an Anchor element such that it is a selectable
button, what happens.  DOes clicking it take y to the href= of the anchor
or to the URL of the longdesc?

In section 13.3.1, there is a reference to a data: scheme for a URI. Where
is this defined?

In section 13.3.3 there is a reference to a java: scheme for a URI. Where
is this defined?

In section 19.1, the title if the heading reads "document Document
Validation".  I think this is an error.
--
Shane P. McCarron                                           +1 612 434-4431
Testing Research Manager                                  shane@themacs.com

OSF/1, Motif, UNIX and the "X" device are registered trademarks in
the US and other countries, and IT DialTone and The Open Group are
trademarks of The Open Group.