From: "John T. Whelan" <whelan@mail.physics.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:02:07 -0700
To: gerald@w3.org
Subject: Validator glitch

[...]

PS: I've noticed that the TARGET attribute was not included in HTML
4.0 Strict, which means that environmentally conscious frame documents
(those that include TARGET="_top" when linking offsite) have to be
tagged as HTML 4.0 Transitional.  (Of course the frameset documents
themselves have to be HTML 4.0 Frameset.)  Do you happen to know if
this is an intentional feature?