Re: Deploying (accessible) XForms today?

On 5/5/06, Stefano Debenedetti <ste@demaledetti.net> wrote:

> Erik Bruchez ha scritto:
> >
> > Stefano Debenedetti wrote:
> >
> >> Considering that the interpretation commonly given to WCAG1.0-based
> >> accessibility laws, at least in italy, is that you cannot provide
> >> functionality via script unless same functionality is provided
> >> without script too, I wonder how can server-side implementations
> >> ever comply, let alone without requiring an insane number of page
> >> reloads, thus completely defeating another stated goal of XForms,
> >> which was also helping accessibility under another aspect.
> >
> > You will have to excuse my ignorance here, but it may be useful if
> > people in the know would help us implementors understand better
> > accessibility questions as they relate to XForms and script.
>
> I do sympathize, associate and concur with your apologies and wish, I feel pretty much in the same way as you, given that I have worked on at least two fully client-side, fully scripted XForms implementations and I still don't know when will I be able to use them without being dubbed of inaccessibility by design.

I am in the same league, and that's my experience too. As soon as
"script" is uttered, a11y alarm bells seems to go off. But I have no
clue to whether it is feasible to get it to comply with a11y
requirements (and/or laws) of today?

Anyone have a spare "summon a11y experts"-spell handy? ;-)

[On a sidenote, I am sad to see this turn into a religious
"discussion". It totally misses my point. I explicitly wrote _today_
in the subject. For that, I do not care about script/no-script,
intentions of XForms, etc. Fact is that browsers do not have XForms
support built in now, so server-side processors (or other
transformation, ie. FormFaces) are necessary for many projects.]

--
... Allan