Re: Bug? "Hyphen" character rendered in place of "soft hyphen" in most browsers except Safari and Opera

From: Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:44:25 -0700
To: www-font@w3.org
On 7/9/2011 12:59 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> <qiuote>...for example:
> 	• Simply inserting a hyphen glyph
> 	• Inserting a hyphen glyph and changing spelling in the divided word parts
> 	• Not showing any visible change and simply breaking at that point
> 	• Inserting a hyphen glyph at the beginning of the new line
> </quote>
>
> it sounds as though U+00AD is not expected to have any visible representation

Note that the text is careful to say "Inserting a hyphen glyph" without
saying in any way how to find one. That's because the content of the
cmap (or its moral equivalent) is a matter for the OpentType (or
similar) format, not a matter for Unicode (of course, there are
constraints because of the eventual desire to have a Unicode compliant
system).

Observing that:

- it's probably not desirable to end up with a different glyph for an
hyphenated word and for a compound word.
- the latter is most likely represented in text by U+002D -
HYPHEN-MINUS, with U+2010 ‐ HYPHEN a distant second.

I am not sure that how viable it is to distinguish all the situations.

Eric.