Re: Including WOFF in ACID3

Hi,

On 14 October 2010 09:51, Levantovsky, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:41 AM Dave Crossland wrote:
>>
>> As I recall,  "WOFF will be the required format for compliance, the
>> others being optional." was added to the spec when Microsoft was
>> playing hardball and refusing to do TTF fonts.
>>
>> Now that MSIE *does* TTF, how can we add TTF to the specs alongside
>> WOFF?
>
> With my chair of the WebFonts WG hat on - we have all agreed and
> approved the charter for the WG. By joining the WebFont WG as an Invited
> Expert, you made a commitment to abide by the W3C Process Document
> and participation conditions described in the WebFonts WG charter.
> Any work related to TTF is out of scope for this WG.

I thought we were talking about the spec, not the charter - please
accept my apologies for this mistake.

I expect not, but I can't tell from looking at W3C process documents:
Can the Charter be changed?

Currently, browsers who do not implement WOFF and who do implement TTF
pass ACID3 tests. Changing the test so they no longer pass isn't a
good idea.

Currently no browsers implements WOFF but not TTF. I don't see any
browsers cutting off the wide amount of already deployed sites using
only TTF.

As HÃ¥kon said, interoperability for installable ttf fonts is valuable
and should be preserved.

It is good that WOFF is included in the ACID3 test, but not if it
*removes* ttf from the test.

Dropping TTF from ACID4 is a different matter.

>> Clever use of TTF, Unicode-Range and transparent GZIP may outperform
>> WOFF for very large fonts, so I'd like to see  TTF standardised
>> alongside WOFF.
>
> If you have real facts to back up your claims and/or know a way
> to improve WOFF, please bring them to the attention of the WebFonts WG.

There was a discussion about this after John Daggett's meeting in LA,
which I recall you being there for; I have no further information at
this time.

Cheers
Dave