RE: question

There were other issues with EOT. A proprietary patented compression
algorithm, same-origin policy enforced by embedding URLs in the file which
was problematic for web sites etc. For all the DRM FUD around the latter,
WOFF does sidestep a number of real technical quirks in EOT.

EOT's major plus was that it was widely deployed. But that doesn't count
for much in practice if a technology is not also widely used.

What EOT did establish was that obfuscating the raw resource through
compression was in fact adequate for a plurality of font vendors.