From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Eric Muller
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:53 PM
To: www-font@w3.org
Subject: Metadata in WOFF fonts

I have reviewed the Working Draft 27 July 2010 of WOFF.

I have some concerns about the pieces of metadata which are meaningful for OT fonts in general and not only for WOFF fonts (for example, the licensee or the roles of the contributors). I am absolutely not judging whether those pieces are useful, but I would like to suggest that if they are, then they should be expressible in plain OT fonts, and they don't belong to WOFF.

Viewed another way, these pieces of metadata transforms WOFF from a *packaging method* into a full fledged *font format*. I don't think anybody is going to benefit from yet another font format. There are certainly immediate practical problems: if I print to PDF a web page that uses a WOFF font and embed the font, what I am supposed to do with the metadata? Drop it? But then, what was the point of including it in the first place?

The claim that WOFF does not force anybody to include or use the extra data does not invalidate my concerns.

If it is deemed that the extra data is worth it, then it ought to be a fairly trivial matter to convince the OT folks for the need of a new table to hold Metadata block. The format of that OT table could be exactly that proposed for WOFF.

The same applies to the private data block. There is ought to be as simple as adding to the OT spec something like: "the PRVT table is a block of arbitrary data, allowing font creators to include ...." (i.e. lift the text of section 7).

I understand that adding tables to OT would be a bit more work than just including them in WOFF (e.g. we would need to decide what to do with the font checksum and DSIG), but again, I don't see that as particularly difficult to address.

Thanks,
Eric.