Re: [css3-fonts] low-level font features

On Jun 21, 2010, at 10:48 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> For OpenType fonts, the example below would be valid syntax but would be
> effectively ignored since neither of the tags are valid OpenType feature
> tags:
>
>  font-feature-settings: this(5), that(0);

Regarding "effectively ignored": Would the UA have a list of the registered feature tags and skip anything that isn't in that list or would it accept everything and pass the responsibility for filtering to the text layout engine? The OpenType spec allows the use of unregistered feature tags [1]. If a font has such a feature defined, say LOLZ feature in GSUB, could it be accessed like this?

	font-feature-settings: LOLZ;

(I apologize for opening a can of worms. :-)

Tal

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featuretags.htm: "The tag space defined by tags consisting of four uppercase letters (A-Z) with no punctuation, spaces, or numbers, is reserved as a vendor space. Font vendors may use such tags to identify private features."