Re: WOFF and extended metadata

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:54:53 -0400
To: Laurence Penney <lorp@lorp.org>
Cc: www-font@w3.org, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org
On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 19:14 +0100, Laurence Penney wrote:

> Let's say that some time hence, because of widespread badly-formed
> webfont deployment, it becomes desirable to bundle a small example
> XHTML file, or XHTML fragment, in the metadata showing how to write
> webfont code, intending for this code to be used as a template by HTML
> editors such as Dreamweaver, or to help WordPress blogs with webfonts.

I don't think this is a likely use case.

A likely use case might be a textual licence with small caps and some
links, e.g. an XHTML fragment.

No, it should not be entity-encoded, that's insane. Once you do that you
can't even check it for well-formedness without webfont-specific code,
let alone process it.

As for the earlier question, Japanese running text _already_ needs
markup for "Ruby" (this is not the programming-language called Ruby),
and it seems entirely likely to me that one might want Japanese fonts.

Best,

Liam