RE: Agenda, action items and suggested WOFF changes

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:37 AM <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>:

Vlad,

As I recently learned upon reading a transcript of Burt Bos's talk on web fonts at the SXSW convention:
http://www.w3.org/Talks/2010/0313-Fonts-SXSW/

it was, ultimately, concerns about the DMCA that scrapped EOT with root strings as a possible solution.

DC>> If Ben then publishes that "non conformant implementation," could he be
DC>> sued?

VL>This is a wrong forum to ask for a legal advice (none of us are lawyers), and I would like to ask
VL>you to refrain from bringing up law suits as an argument in a technical discussion.

Dave Crossland is simply bringing up a point that goes to the heart of the matter. The discussions here have always been about IP. Always.

I understand your objection to the stark phrasing of the question - Dave is not about to get an answer - but the issue lurks, it's legitimate and it has been dealt with at the W3C before. And decisions by non-lawyers have been made.
And I'm sure that you - and other members - consult with your company's lawyers in light of these discussions quite regularly.
It's disingenuous to say that this is purely "technical" when what's under discussion is embedding bits and how and where they might apply to WOFF creation tools and user education with regards to licensing.
Dave Crossland isn't interjecting the issue, the proposal under discussion is interjecting the issue. And if the question of legal exposure isn't relevant, I don't know what the heck is.

Regards,

Rich

On Monday, May 17, 2010 7:25 AM Dave Crossland wrote:

> If Ben then publishes that "non conformant implementation," could he be
> sued?

This is a wrong forum to ask for a legal advice (none of us are lawyers), and I would like to ask you to refrain from bringing up law suits as an argument in a technical discussion.

Regards,
Vladimir