Re: What constitutes protection [was: About using CORS]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:26:03 +0900
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: "John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, www-font@w3.org
On Tue, 04 May 2010 15:12:49 +0900, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> Yes, there was a big kerfuffle over video. A few reasons why video is
> probably different from fonts:
> a) video is huge, so much more likely to need CDN support or at least to
> be placed on dedicated servers. Fonts are much smaller so it's generally
> going to be easy to serve a font on the same server as the rest of the
> normal page content.

I just checked cnn.com and it seems to be using CDN for style sheets. If
it is using them for style sheets it seems likely it would use them for
fonts too, as they are typically larger than style sheets.

> b) people want to put links to "viral videos" in their blogs. I don't see
> "viral fonts" as being such a big cultural medium, but even if they are,
> people can copy them around easily enough.
> c) there is a well-established precedent with Flash and Quicktime that
> you can link to videos cross-site. There is not such a well-established
> precedent for fonts.
>
>> They might not like it for instance if stripping of some headers by an
>> intermediary renders the site in some horrible fallback font. It seems
>> same-origin licensing requirements would also be a problem for these
>> sites.
>
> We shall see what authors say, but if you want to increase reliability
> it's a matter of copying the font to your own server, which is probably
> not a big deal. That protects you from the other site being down as well.

I was mostly thinking of sites like cnn.com.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/