Re: Next step?

John Hudson wrote:

> Perhaps I am missing some factor because I am not in the browser
> business. From the font vendor perspective, anything more than one web
> font format just creates unnecessary workflow and delivery headaches. We
> only recently got rid of multiple formats for desktop fonts. But
> requiring more than one format for conformance seems to me to also put
> an unnecessary burden on new entrants in the browser market. Let's say a
> company comes along with a new browser, in a situation in which WOFF is
> the uncontested favoured format for web fonts, is supported in all
> existing browsers and is the chosen format for both web authors and font
> vendors. What good reason would there be for requiring that company to
> code support for some other format in order to be able to claim
> conformance?
> John Hudson

Most browsers call system libraries to render fonts so I don't think the
technical burden is high. For the time being I think we should encourage
browser vendors to support as many formats as possible and 2 seem a
reasonable minimum. Does any browser vendor intend to drop support for a
format they already support in favour of WOFF or CWT?

- C