Re: What's an em

Clive Bruton wrote:

> I think then the document creator should have used alternatives, some of
> which were guaranteed to be on the system.

The fonts guaranteed to be on the system are the five CSS generic font
families, and ther eis noindication what these look like or even if they
are all distinct.

> In continuous text I think
> document creators generally specify the default sytem fonts as they can
> be assumed to be available. They try to represent something that all
> users will see, rather than what their real preference would be.

Certainly, there seems to be a trend to use "serif" or "sans-serif" as body
text and to assume that this is legible when set small. However, it means
that all pages tend to look alike.

--
Chris