RE: What's an em

At 5:22 PM +0000 2/2/00, Clive Bruton wrote:
>Karlsson Kent - keka wrote at 02/02/00 16:20
>
>  >Assume the (lowercase dominated) headings are asked (by the page author)
>  >to be of x-height 7 mm in Flemish Script, the body text (lowercase
>  >dominated) to be of x-height 3.5 mm Verdana.
>
>I think trying to specify type on screen in mm would be a mistake, but...

<aside>Not any more than specifying it in points. Any use of absolute
length units for the screen media type is ill-advised. The CSS Recs
support this assertion obliquely, and the WAI authoring guidelines
explicitly.</aside>

>  >Whatever font substitutions
>  >are done (keeping the asked-for x-heights to a reasonable degree), one
>  >would still get a proper percieved size difference between the heading
>  >and the body text.  Right? Or???
>
>Yes, great. What would the line-height be? For a clue on this look at the
>examples on the CSS2 page, where line-height is maintained and ascender
>and descenders clash where the x-height has been taken as the defintive
>measurement.

Look, Verdana and Flemish Script are together in the example because
extreme examples make certain points very clear, which is useful when
more realistically subtle illustrations might be lost upon the
audience. Unfortunately, they also provide bait for reductio ad
absurdam arguments among the cognoscenti. It is exceedingly unlikely
that one of these faces will be substituted for another in practice,
at least not as long as author and reader are trying to get along,
which is the business at hand.

It's well-established practice in CSS to specify font families in a
prioritized list, with the generic family (sans, serif, script, etc.)
last in the list, so mixing up script and sans-serif is the result of
incompetent usage, not a language design flaw. (And anyway, I
consider the ascender/descender clash less tragic than the
"unadjusted substitution" alternative; really cautious authors can
spec extra line-height to be on the safe side, and god knows typical
Web text would benefit from that!)

>Strange calculations that show what happens in extremes, or in real world
>situations!?
>
>Please, show me a "real world" calculation that fits your model?

problem:
1. Users A and B have set up their agents to default to 12px Times.
Or Minion Web if you prefer.
2. Author calls for body text to be in Verdana (with fallbacks to
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif), in the user's preferred size (no size
specified).
3. User A calls up site, and remarks that body text looks too big,
horsey, silly.
4. Author/designer/marketing director re-specifies the body text as
.8em Verdana. Verdana now looks approximately as large as Times at
the user's preferred size.
5. User B calls up site, doesn't have Verdana, but does have Arial.
And sees it reduced to near-illegibility.
6. [a digression] font size fails to inherit into table elements in
Netscape 4.x and WinIE (a cherished bug), so author selects both body
and TD and sets both to .8em. Since these elements are in an
ancestor/descendant relationship, text in TD ought really be .64em
(.8x.8), which is what users with conformant agents (MacIE, Opera,
Mozilla) will see: illegibly ill-resolved.

solution:
1. Users A and B have set up their agents to default to 12px Times.
Or Minion Web if you prefer.
2. Author calls for body text to be in Verdana (with fallbacks to
Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif), in the user's preferred size (no size
specified), and provides the aspect of Verdana as the
font-size-adjust value: .58.
3. User A calls up site, and his/her agent compares the aspect of
Times (recorded in the user stylesheet/prefs) with that of the
specified Verdana, and scales Verdana to 10px to equalize x-height
with 12px Times. Extra added bonus: since the line-height remains at
the value appropriate to "solid" 12px Times, Verdana has now gained a
little air. And there is much rejoicing.
4. User B calls up site, doesn't have Verdana, but does have Arial.
Since Arial and Times have very similar aspects, no scaling occurs,
and the size looks/feels right to everybody. Remember, we're talking
about a design grid with fewer pixels than you have fingers and toes
- no sense agonizing over the uncompensated hairline serifs.
5. [the digression rejoined] Since no "medium" font size is ever
specified, there are no legacy CSS inheritance issues to contend with.

>If you scale x-height you also have to scale the other factors of
>design/perception.

We can't have the ultimate solution all at once, Clive. Baby steps
before pole-vaulting. Not even the 1996 CSS-1 specification has been
completely implemented yet, anywhere.

--
Todd Fahrner