Re: SuperATM and MM fonts instead of embedding (was Re: pixel fonts)

> From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
> Here's my question: Are there people who feel same-metric MM fonts are not
> sufficient for substituting when the actual font is not on the user's system?

They are sufficient only if they are freely available, along with the
rendering technology.  Otherwise, you end up with web pages that can't be
printed by people using browsers other than Netscape and Microsoft Internet
Explorer.  NCSA Mosaic is still used :-), along with other browsers.

There also needs to be support on a wide range of platforms -- not just
Mac and Windows.  The Web has in the past been as near to universally
accessible as we've ever managed in the history of computing.  It does
better than un-marked-up ASCII (headings & emphasis marked) for a blind
or partially-sighted reader, for example, and can be used on more platforms
than PDF (which has its place, by the way) or RTF or any other format.

So I think that _availability_ of a solution is very important.

I know that this is something Tim B-L has spoken strongly about in the past,
as have many others at the W3C & elsewhere, and I think rightly.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc    | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
lee@sq.com +1 416 239 4801 | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows