SuperATM and MM fonts instead of embedding (was Re: pixel fonts)

At 6:14p +0200 07/09/96, Erik van Blokland wrote:

 >The printing of pixelfonts does not have to be a big problem. The font
 >can contain orginal fontnames and ID's. People that own the fonts can use
 >those in printing (substitution could even be automatic), others can use
 >substitution fonts such as the schemes that acrobat uses, making a
 >multiple master instance with the same width and weight.

Here's my question: Are there people who feel same-metric MM fonts are not
sufficient for substituting when the actual font is not on the user's system?

Adobe Type Manager 3.5 and later for MacOS support this, via a font metrics
database. ATM 3.0.1 and later for Windows support MM fonts, though I don't
know if "SuperATM" substitution has been added to the Windows version yet.
ATM Deluxe 4.0 for MacOS, just recently announced, supports antialiasing as
well. I don't know Adobe's plans for ATM on other platforms, but I really
think that this method is best. It allows acceptable type display when the
real font is unavailable, it works even better when the font is available,
and does not suffer from any "security" or ownership issues.

Hey Adobe -- which platforms are supported? (I only know MacOS)

I, for one, do not want fonts to be embedded. Metrics sure, but not the font
itself. If someone needs to show a logo on the Web, use a GIF.