Re: XML Encryption

There is a connection between:

XML Signature
http://www.w3.org/Signature/

XML Encryption
http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/

XML Protocols
http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/

This has nothing to do with DRM in a strict sense.
These are modules, that are needed for the overall W3C
Architecture and it's technology. They are building the
infrastructure, that DRM can use.

If there will be an activity on DRM within W3C, it will surely
have dependencies to those technologies...

Note, that I'm also responsible for our relation to ETSI [1]
and CEN[2]. They are currently developing a Certificate - Format
and Requirements for Electronic Signatures in the sense of the
EU-Directive[3]:

[1] http://www.etsi.org/sec/el-sign.htm
[2] http://www.cenorm.be/isss/Workshop/e-sign/Default.htm
[3] http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/en/media/sign/index.htm

If you take DRM in the widest possible sense, this is also
important and could be named DRM....

Best,

Rigo

Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          2004, Routes des Lucioles
mail:rigo@w3.org        F-06902 Sophia Antipolis
+33 (0)6 73 84 87 31    http://www.w3.org/