Re: DOMString UTF-16

* Graham Houston wrote:
>Was pondering the requirement for UTF-16 for DOMString and it seems it
>could be more beneficial if this was an implementation decision on Unicode
>and not a requirement, after all UTF-8 is now the more favourable encoding
>in use today not to mention its more to do with internal handling of
>strings than the final overall use of those strings. How my DOM handles
>Unicode inside should not affect how my DOM handles transfer encodings
>overall as an API and on that grounds I see no reason for DOMString to be a
>UTF-16 requirement.

While some of the DOM specifications says otherwise, implementations can
and some in fact do use other storage internally. What matters is only
the external behavior. There are, as an aside, various ways to use UTF-8
internally while exposing UTF-16-like behavior externally without notab-
ly affecting performance. It is entirely possible some of the major web
browsers will do that at some point.