Re: Re: Re: Keyboard events for accessible RIAs and Games

On 31 Jan 2013 04:50, "Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>
wrote:

> >> Well yes, implicitly you did. If a random website can figure out where
keys
> >> are on your keyboard (i.e. what layout you are using) it is an extra
data
> >> point for fingerprinting / tracking users.
>

> > I strongly disagree with that we should sacrifice accessability and
> > i18n on the altar of fingerprinting concerns.
>

> Let's try to solve the problem rather than stating disagreement. We have
- here and many, many other places - conflicting goals between enabling
features and protecting users from some potential abuse. We're discussing
this in order to balance both concerns without "sacrificing" anything - as
long as we find a way forward.

> > The HTTP header "accept-language" defined by HTTP 1.1 section 1.4.4
> > http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html already provides
the users
> > locale. A users locale has a strong correlation to a users keyboard
layout.

> This is definitely true, however for fingerprinting the devil really is
in the details. So I'm that guy requesting nn-NO with an en-GB keyboard
(bought laptop while living in London ages ago). Plus surfing with Opera.
There's probably only one of me ;-).

In this case the code translation API will behave as if nn-NO were in
effect - the fact that you have that but an en-GB keyboard only becomes
relevant if you press a key not normally present on nn-NO, which should be
a relatively easy corner-case to address.

> > If the intent is to avoid adding identifyable bits by preventing locale
sniffing
> > that train is gone with accept-language.
>

> The problem with fingerprinting is that the more bits of information we
add, the easier it gets.

> Anyway, we are (again) up against the old problem that browsers aren't
very good at letting users say "I trust this site". IMHO browsers should
have a "Trusted sites" list as a prominent part of their UI. IE's security
zones was an attempt at solving this, but the implementation IMO wasn't
really usable. For all I know the FirefoxOS "every site can be an app"
approach is a way to get there, if the app-bookmarked-sites get extra
privileges?