Re: Exceptions in event listeners triggered by dispatchEvent().

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:40:09 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> Well then those browsers violate the spec and the original
>> implementation... At least Presto implements the spec.
>

> When IE, Chrome and Firefox all violate the spec in the same way, it's
> the
> spec that's wrong.  You know that.

Yeah.

You said:

>>> It also
>>> doesn't make much sense to support error handling with event listeners
>>> in
>>> workers but not in the UI thread

But the spec currently doesn't support error handling with event listeners
in workers.

When a runtime error occurs in a worker, the following happens, per spec:

1. self.onerror is invoked (without an event).
2. If the error is "handled", abort these steps.
3. Otherwise, create an ErrorEvent object and fire it on the associated
'Worker' object in the parent thread.

(It can then "bubble" further if it's still not "handled", but ErrorEvent
is only fired for Worker objects, not Window or WorkerGlobalScope.)

Anyway, I guess this was just a tangent. I don't object to changing the
spec as you suggest.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software