Fwd: [futures] Persistent/Repeated Future that doesn't resolve

> Hm, Streams *might* work.  However, it looks like they usually still
fall prey to the "can only see the *next* update after subscribing"
problem.  If we had something that would inform you of the
most-recently-published value as well when you subscribed, it would
probably work better.  If I'm reading correctly, they also
automatically feed you the entire history of the stream, while the
use-cases I'm thinking of just need to know the "current" state and
future states.

Streams should not feed you the entire history, they should just give you
new events.

I also feel that progress is out of scope for Future as they represent a
single value to be known in the future with correct error propagation
mechanisms.

As mentioned in another thread (
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2013AprJun/0022.html ) you
probably want to look into an FRP style signal (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_reactive_programming ) which is a
representation of a value over time. It's the only async data structure I
know of that specifically models current state at a moment in time.

RXJS ( https://github.com/Reactive-Extensions/RxJS/wiki/Observable ) and
bacon ( https://github.com/raimohanska/bacon.js#property ) have
implementations of this idea. Elm (a compile to JavaScript language) also
has good implementations of this idea (
http://elm-lang.org/learn/What-is-FRP.elm )

It would probably look like

interface Signal {
  void listen(valueListener);
  Any value();
}

Where you can ask it for it's current value synchronously by calling
value() and you can listen to any future changes by calling
listen(function). It should be noted that the representation of a value
over time is not a representation for an asynchronous task that may cause
an error, that's a seperate thing.

Your font future may have an attribute called "completionStatus" that is a
signal. It should also be noted that signals require an initial value. In
the case of the loading status of a font it would default to 0 (assuming
it's modeled as a number from 0 to 100).

It should also be noted that streams do not have a notion of "current
value" for good reasons. The notion of "current value" means that a) you
need to maintain state on something that could be stateless. b) it needs to
have an initial state before it has started and c) you need to look at the
state of a stream in between two events and that state needs to make
coherent sense. Just saying that the state is the last event is not always
a meaningful thing.