Re: Adding `detail` to Event

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Olli Pettay wrote:

> On 11/28/2012 12:30 PM, David Håsäther wrote:
> > The only reason for CustomEvent is to be able to pass a `detail`
> > object. It seems unnecessary to have a separate constructor just to be
> > able to pass an extra object, and I would suggest that Event could
> > take `detail` too (thereby deprecating CustomEvent).
> >
> > I asked Anne on IRC if it's too late to add `detail` to Event and he
> > said "no at all".
> >
> > --
> > David Håsäther
>

> What is the use case for having .detail in Event?

The use case is being able to pass custom data as part of a custom event - this is really useful for all sorts of things as the data pertains to whatever emitted the event (e.g., a parser could tell your how many things it parsed, if anything was discarded, how long it took, etc.).

--
Marcos Caceres