Re: [progress-events] Loading, Interactive and Error states for downloaded resources -- fallback content

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:27:35 +0100, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I indeed started a CSS draft that doesn't reference the features
> described here. I just feel (and I wasn't alone) that DOM and CSS should
> keep parity here if we want to implement that feature. It's not possible
> to define such pseudo-classes if you don't define progress events in the
> DOM, whatever they are, because we need an event to trigger pseudo-class
> "rematching".

Since when is that the case? It might not be a bad idea, but CSS is
typically defined independently of pretty much anything else.

> In fact, what we need is some way to "know" how far the download process
> is gone for any element which can trigger a download. I may want, in the
> future, to simplify that proposal to only include really needed
> components, but I feel that many of what I propose is requierd.

As I mentioned, you should integrate with http://www.whatwg.org/html#fetch
most likely.

> Anyway, if you want to see my "contributor draft", it's located here :
> http://fremycompany.com/TR/2012/ED-css-content-state/

It's probably best to let specifications such as HTML define when the
pseudo-classes apply instead of the other way around.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/