Re: Support getElementById and other methods of ShadowRoot on DocumentFragment

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:

> Are you suggesting that getElementsBy* on ShadowRoot will return a static
> node list? If so, that's inconsistent with the existing ones. If not, then
> getElementsBy* return HTMLCollection, and I'm strongly opposed to adding
> any new method that returns live node list or HTMLCollection. They impose
> significant performance burdens and design constraints on all DOM mutations

That's not what the spec says:

*Must* behave exactly like
document.getElementsByTagName<http://www.w3.org/TR/domcore/#dom-document-getelementsbytagname>,
except scoped<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html#dfn-scoping-constraints>
the shadow DOM subtree.
So it should already return a non-static NodeList. It doesn't make sense to
have methods with the exact same names and different behaviors on Document
vs ShadowRoot.

- E