Re: "DOM4 Events" Proposal (was: Spec proposals for Event constructors)

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Jacob Rossi wrote:
> >
> > Another feature I've been considering to add to DOM4 Events is the
> > ability to inspect the list of registered event listeners on a node.
>
> This would break an assumption baked into many parts of the platform. I
> strongly recommend against adding such a feature.
>
> The assumption is that adding an event listener that doesn't do anything
> is itself a no-op; that there can be no side-effects from such a
> registration. This assumption is used throughout the platform, e.g. event
> handler attributes, in the use of the event model by ATs, etc.

Can you expand on this? What does it actually affect? Could you get the same
effect by saying that addEventListener of a function that doesn't do
anything is a noop? That way, the list of registered event listeners would
still be empty, but you are able to query the non-noop registered event
listeners.