Re: "DOM4 Events" Proposal (was: Spec proposals for Event constructors)

On Oct 18, 2011, at 8:43 PM, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 05:22:43 +0900, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for helping get the ball rolling on this! I think event constructors are a great idea. DOM4 has pioneered this for the Event interface [1]. However, we should do this across all event interfaces. So we need a spec for the remaining ones. I think this, potentially along with other ideas we've had in the past [2, 3], will make up a great new spec to extend DOM L3 Events.
>>
>> I've taken your suggestions and drafted them up as a part of a ""DOM4 Events" proposal:
>>
>> http://html5labs.com/dom4events/
>>
>> I'd like to solicit feedback on what I've written so far, other possible features to include in scope for this proposal, and what folks think about bringing this in as a new specification in Web Apps. I'll start some threads with a couple questions I had while writing this proposal.
>
> I do not think we should call this "DOM4 Events". That's very confusing with the Events chapter DOM4 has. We should name this "UI Events" or some such, similar to "Progress Events".
>
> The whole section on Feature Detection is out of place as DOM4 explicitly says that specifications must not have them.

There's a Web Events WG and all that's involved... The bar on feature detection may be an issue in the evolution of touch events v1, which matches iOS touch events and the possible force and rotation attributes of v2.

Glad we're having the discussion.

Seems to me that touch events should be mentioned in this spec. I'd really like clarification on ink events. Mainly, pen pressure. This continues to be a big hole in implementations.

-Charles