Mouse vs. Touch Events (was: [DOM3Events] CR)

Hi, Charles-

(Renaming thread, because this is not relevant to moving DOM3 Events to CR)

On 9/4/11 1:27 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> On 9/4/11 10:06 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>> On 9/4/11 12:49 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a wiki page or other resource for looking into implementation
>>> status on DOM3Events?
>>> It's a large spec, and I'd like to plan for it in our internal roadmap.
>>
>> We will be building a complete test suite and implementation report
>> during CR phase, which is the traditional time that stuff is done.
>>
>> Informally, I believe that IE9+ implements all of the normative
>> assertions in the DOM3 Events spec (there could be minor details that
>> need better testing), and most of the spec is implemented in other
>> browsers, since much of it is based on existing browser features.
>>
>> I think the least coverage is in one of the most important features,
>> the keyboard model; I would love to see this implemented in more
>> browsers than just IE, but haven't been able to get anyone to
>> prioritize it yet. 'mouseenter' and 'mouseleave' also need broader
>> support (John Resig was just asking me to expedite this the other day,
>> on behalf of jQuery).
>
> I've got a bad situation with Apple's VoiceOver on Mobile Safari. As
> they have not taken any steps to improve Canvas accessibility, I'm in
> the unfortunate position of only having self-voicing via audio tags.
>
> Is mouseenter and mouseleave intended for touch events as well? On
> Mobile Safari's eyes-free interface, a user simply drags their touch
> across the screen, and as it enters various elements, the elements are
> voiced. The user then double-taps to focus on a given element.
 >
> It's a whole-lot-of-work to re-implement that from scratch. mouseenter
> and mouseleave would lessen that burden. But, it is a touch* system, vs
> a mouse* system, at it's core.

I suggest you raise this in the context of the touch stuff in the Web
Events WG (where we are doing the Touch Interface spec).

> Do you remember which list was discussing the addition of a MouseCoords
> method being available on mouse events? I believe the thought originated
> from the SVG realm.

We discussed it here, but decided that that would be better dealt with
in the new CSS transforms and SVG2 specs.

Regards-
-Doug