Re: Event Handler Attribute

Hi, Garrett-

Garrett Smith wrote (on 12/23/10 9:55 PM):
> Where is the `thisArg` specified in D3E? Context for event handler
> properties or eventListeners registered with addEventListener is
> generally set to the object on which the callback has been set on.
> Example:
>
>    document.body.addEventListener("click", f, false);
>
>    function f() {
>      alert( this === document.body );
>    }
>
> That behavior should be specified somewhere, and if not in D3E, then
> somewhere that D3E links to, like HTML5.

As far as I know, the 'this' keyword is defined in ECMAScript [1].  ECMA
5, section 11.1.1 says:
[[
  The this keyword evaluates to the value of the ThisBinding of the
current execution context.
]]

DOM3 Events doesn't define script execution (in fact, it tries to be
language-neutral, and should work with Java as well as Javascript).

[1] http://www.ecmascript.org/docs/tc39-2009-043.pdf

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs