Re: TextEvent data property

Hi, Sean-

Sean Hogan wrote (on 1/12/10 7:19 PM):

> It just occured to me that the data property of TextEvent clashes with
> jQuery Events, which uses the data property for " optional data passed
> to jQuery.fn.bind when the current executing handler was bound."
> See
> http://api.jquery.com/category/events/event-object/
> and
> http://api.jquery.com/event.data/

Thanks for alerting us to this unfortunate design.  Without looking too
deeply at it yet, this does seem problematic.

> TextEvent.data (and there textInput events) support in jQuery will be
> confusing (at minimum).
> To my knowledge only Webkit supports TextEvents and I can't imagine many
> developers actually using them yet, so it might not break anything to
> change it now.

There may be other (non-browser) implementations using it.  I'd like to
hear from them.

> Perhaps "text" or "textData" would be an acceptable name.

"value" might also serve.

We'll look into it and talk about it at the telcon.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs