Re: CfC: FocusEvent Interface

On Sep 22, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Hi, Folks-
>
> As discussed on this list and in the telcon, I've added a new
> FocusEvent interface with a 'relatedTarget' attribute, moved focus
> events there, then moved Basic Events to UIEvents cuz DOMActivate
> was lonely, and removed the Basic Events category.
>
> You can see my handiwork in the latest ED:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM-Level-3-Events/html/DOM3-Events.html#events-Events-FocusEvent
>
> Please throw flowers or tomatoes.

The FocusEvent interface itself seems fine, and a good solution.

I do think it would be worth doing some cursory research to determine
whether it is a problem to support "focusin" and "focusout" events
without 100% API compatibility with IE. Do sites only use these in IE-
specific code paths currently, or is it possible that they register
and use IE-specific APIs?

These questions are relevant, because we may want to support IE's
toElement and fromElement attributes in the standard, depending on the
results.

Regards,
Maciej