Re: Marked addEventListenerNS and removeEventListenerNS At Risk

Hi, Olli-

Olli Pettay wrote (on 9/13/09 8:17 AM):
> FYI, XML Events 1.0[3] relies on DOM 2 Events, so it doesn't
> need namespaced events.
> XML events 2.0 is still just a draft, and it just says "However, future
> versions of DOM Events are likely to allow namespaced event names, so
> language designers are advised not to use the colon character ":" in
> event names."

Okay.  It's pretty clear to me now that XML Events was definitely one of
the major driving factors behind adding namespaces to DOM3 Events, based
on this email from Philippe Le Hegaret [1]:

[[
background:
XML Events introduced namespaces for event types, ie the type of an
event is {"http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events", "DOMActivate"} instead of
"DOMActivate". There is currently a proposal to include this mechanism
in DOM Level 3 Events however it is not clear if it is going to remain
in XML Events, this explains why the draft is currently on hold.
]]

I'm concerned about content that might be broken by removing this, but I
do hear the implementer feedback.  One possible solution is to remove it
from DOM3 Events and create another spec that specifies the
namespace-aware methods... I wish it were easier to find out about
content usage.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2002AprJun/0143.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers