Re: DOMActivate vs. Click

On Jul 26, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 7/26/09 10:59 PM):
>
>> then WebKit will probably align with
>> the judgment of other browser engines on whether to keep them.
>
> Do you mean Safari, or WebKit?  I'd be interested to hear from
> Google, KDE/Konqueror, and other folks who have browsers based on
> WebKit.

I mean WebKit. As I said, I can't officially speak for the whole
project. My sense is that project attitudes are mostly along the lines
I described, though individual WebKit contributors, whether they work
for Apple or not, may disagree on the particulars.

Generally, WebKit-based browsers strive to avoid differences that
affect behavior of Web content. I expect Safari, Chrome, Epiphany,
Arora, Midori, OmniWeb, iCab, S60 Browser, the Android browser, and
other WebKit-based browsers to just follow mainline WebKit on this
point. We tend to value consistency over minor differences of opinion
on things like this. (Konqueror doesn't use WebKit, although the idea
has been discussed).

For Safari, I can't make any specific commitments about future
releases, though historically Safari has followed mainline WebKit
behavior.

I hope this clarifies what I mean when I say the WebKit project would
likely do one thing or another. If I'm ever giving a strong statement
of project consensus, or an Apple corporate position, I'll try to make
that clear. But usually I'm giving either personal technical views, or
positions that I think will likely find rough consensus in the WebKit
project.

Regards,
Maciej