Re: DOMActivate vs. Click

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Anne van Kesteren<annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:16:14 +0200, Jacob Rossi <t-jacobr@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Ok. That makes sense. Given that, is DOMActivate simply left in DOM L3
>> Events to support backwards compatibility with DOM L2 events? Or are
>> there still use cases which it solves that other events do not?
>
> I think the sole reason we have DOMFocusIn, DOMFocusOut, and DOMActivate is political. I'm not sure if that changed to backwards compatibility at this point, but I doubt it.
>
> DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut have been retained on request of the Forms WG and for DOMActivate I do not really remember. Fact of the matter is that focus/blur/click work fine and already are platform independent and much better understood by authors of Web applications.
>
> I'd be very happy if could consider yet again dropping DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut/DOMActivate.

What do you mean by "dropping"? Dropping from the DOM Events L3 spec,
or dropped from the web platform entirely? Including dropped from SVG?

Would Opera be willing to completely remove support for these events?
I'd personally love to remove them entirely from gecko, just not sure
if any existing content would break.

/ Jonas