Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut (was: DOMActivate vs. Click)

Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Anne-
>
> +public-forms@w3.org
>
> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 7/22/09 9:35 AM):
> > On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:16:14 +0200, Jacob Rossi<t-jacobr@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> > > Ok. That makes sense. Given that, is DOMActivate simply left in DOM L3
> > > Events to support backwards compatibility with DOM L2 events? Or are
> > > there still use cases which it solves that other events do not?
> >
> > I think the sole reason we have DOMFocusIn, DOMFocusOut, and DOMActivate
> > is political. I'm not sure if that changed to backwards compatibility at
> > this point, but I doubt it.
> >
> > DOMFocusIn and DOMFocusOut have been retained on request of the Forms WG
> > and for DOMActivate I do not really remember. Fact of the matter is that
> > focus/blur/click work fine and already are platform independent and much
> > better understood by authors of Web applications.
> >
> > I'd be very happy if could consider yet again dropping
> > DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut/DOMActivate.
>
> Taking a look at the current state of implementation [1], and seeing the
> similarity of function between IE's focusin/focusout and
> DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut, I have now included focusin/focusout, and
> deprecated DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut in favor of those event types.  This is
> a tentative decision, but it seems logical to me; any comments are
> welcome.

Does that mean that for compatibility, I now need to raise focusin,
DOMFocusIn *and* focus events?  I think that would mean I now need to raise
12 separate events just to transfer the focus from one node to another in a
different document!

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer