Re: Testing framework requirements

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Travis Leithead<travil@microsoft.com> wrote:
> (In a separate mail thread to keep this discussion logically separated from
> the last)
>

> What are some of the desired requirements for an automated testing framework
> for testing HTML5/DOM specs from the JavaScript programmatic side?

Script Testing Framework Features:
* runs in a browser
* tests run individually, or as a suite
* test code and results are easy to examine
* suite can be paused/resumed at any time
* framework handles asynchronous testing
* events can be created and dispatched easily
* does not use faulty strategies (browser detection, etc).

Suite Implementation:
 * organized so that it is easy to find tests (searchable, sortable)
 * search engine friendly (so that tests can be found)
 * links to the relevant specifications, which link back to the tests

Results of various browsers and versions could be provided on a separate page.

YUI Test is open source. A GitHub fork can be created and modified for
the purpose of this test suite. I mentioned it about a year ago on
this list. That thread unfortunately turned to an ad hominem and
insults, ended by Doug Schepers. The w3c maintains:-

http://www.w3.org/DOM/Test/

I do not personally find that test suite to be useful. Suggestion: Why
don't you post to comp.lang.javascript and ask if anyone finds the
test suite useful?

Garrett