Re: DOM 3 Core namespace normalisation and Level 1 nodes

On Feb 19, 2004, at 12:50 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 07:31, Andrew Clover wrote:
>> There's an issue with namespace normalisation in the reference algo
>> (B.1) in PR which I hadn't noticed until DOM-TS started testing for
>> it:
>>
>>     if ( Element's localName is null )
>>     {
>>        // DOM Level 1 node
>>        [...]
>>        Otherwise, report an error
>>
>> I believe this behaviour to be undesirable. It would mean you'd be
>> unable to serialise any document containing Level 1 Elements
>> (or Attrs) without deliberately setting the DOMConfiguration
>> parameter 'namespaces' to false.

I'd also suggest that a non-namespace aware parse would result in a
document where setParameter("namespaces") returns false.  If you don't
do something like this then any existing code that did a non-namespace
aware parse would silently fail on any attempt of normalization.  I
mocked up a test that checks that the value of the namespaces parameter
follows the parser settings and currently it doesn't for Xerces-J.