Re: writeToString, write and, UTF-16[BE|LE] (was: "LSSerializer.writeToString - what encoding declaration?")

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:26:46 -0500, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

>Entities in the encodings "UTF-16BE" and "UTF-16LE" must not begin with
>a BOM, but must have an appropriate encoding declaration.

I can understand "should not" in this case, but I don't see a need for
"must not." If that's enforced, then parsers that don't understand the
"UTF-16LE" or "UTF16-BE" encoding declarations have little hope of
heuristically discovering the actual encoding.

-Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp
http://www.fenestra.com/