Re: i18n reviews of DOM 3 Core and Load&Save

At 11:27 AM -0700 9/17/03, Johnny Stenback wrote:
>Francois Yergeau wrote:
>>  LS8) It should be specified that DOMSerializers MUST be able to serialize in
>>  UTF-8 and both byte-orders of UTF-16, to close the loop with XML parsers
>>  which are obligated to read these.
>
>The DOM WG decided against requiring support for all of those
>encodings, but it did decide to require support for one or more of
>those encodins.

I'd ask the working group to reconsider this one. It seems to be
asking for non-compatibility of code. I think a minimum of one
encoding should be required for all implementations, preferably
UTF-8; and I really don't think it would be that onerous to require
all three.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu