RE: Last Call Issues for WD-DOM-Level-3-Events

This seems like a contradiction:

You say the following was added to the spec:

	If cancelled (Default actions and cancelable events),
	a keydown cannot contribute to the generation of text events.

And then you state:

	Applications should not assume that the keydown or keyup will
contribute to the text event generation.

By stating that a cancelled keyDown CANNOT contribute to the generation
of a text event, you are suggesting that it DOES contribute to a text
event because changing the key down controls whether the text event will
fire.

Additionally, one situation where this could be a problem is a modifier
key. If one cancels the keydown of a modifer key, but then does not
cancel the keyDown for an alpha-numeric key following it, the cancelled
modifier key would still probably contribute to the character generated
by the system, and there may be no reasonable way to change that.

That's why I was suggesting key events should be as detached from
textEvents as possible. Cancelling a key event should have no relation
to the generation of the text event, just as cancelling a keyDown event
may have no relation to the generation of a keyUp event. The generation
of text should not be assumed as the default action of the keyDown.

--Brad