Re: HTMLFormElement submit Method

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 14:04, Steven Elliott wrote:
> Microsoft (MSDN site) claims that the submit method of a form does not
> invoke the onsubmit event handler.
>
> Microsoft goes on to claim on the same page that this method (submit method)
> is defined in the W3C DOM Level 1.
>
> The reference I find for the HTMLFormElement in the DOM is section 2.5.5.
> Object Definitions.  Here it defines the submit method as performing the
> same action as a submit button which implies invoking the onsubmit event.
>
> I cannot find any specific reference here for whether or not the onsubmit
> event should or should not be included.
>
> Can you clarify this please because I believe not calling an onsubmit method
> if one is defined for a form would be a violation of the W3C L1 DOM?

Unfortunately, given the differences between implementations, it was not
possible to find a common ground on this issue. No changes were in the
specification. You cannot rely on having an event when invoking the
submit() method.

Please, let us know if you are (or are not) satisfy with this decision,

Philippe,
for the DOM WG.