Re: Full infoset support for DOM 3 Core

Arnold, Curt wrote:

>XPathNamespaceResolver might be more appropriate in the Core however with the expectation that it would be supported by most objects that implement Node.  If added to the core, then it should map both
>ways, that is getNSPrefixForURI() and getURIForNSPrefix().

This functionality is already expressed in Level 3 core in the Node
interface.  By keeping the XPath version of the interface abstract, we
permit applications to construct maps for cases where the namespace
context is not based upon a Node in the hierarchy (although we do not
have a create method for that type of object).  There are other
differences, such as one you stumbled on:  XPath never requires the
default namespace (and requiring XPathNamespaceResolver to supply it
might make the implementer erroneously apply it to prefixless names
within the expression).

Ray Whitmer
rayw@netscape.com