Re: DOM-2 CSS Module Inclusion -- Conformance/Compliance

On 28 Mar 00, at 13:26, Glenn Adams wrote:

> In Document Object Model (DOM) Level 2 Specification, Version 1.0, W3C Candidate Recommendation 07 March, 2000, under Section 5.2 CSS Fundamental Interfaces appears the following:
>
> "The interfaces within this section are considered fundamental, and must be supported by all conforming DOM implementations."
>
> In contrast, in "What is the Document Object Model?" under "Compliance", one finds:
>
> "A compliant implementation of the DOM must implement all of the fundamental interfaces in the Core chapter with the semantics as defined. Further, it must implement at least one of the HTML DOM and the extended (XML) interfaces with the semantics as defined. The other modules are optional."
>
> There seems to be a conflict between these two statements, with the former requiring the CSS module and the latter making it optional. Also, the former uses the term "conformance" while the latter uses the term "compliance". Is there something I'm missing here?

The answer is that if you claim to support the CSS module, you
need to support the fundamental CSS interfaces, and may choose
to support the extended CS interfaces. The CSS module as a
whole is optional. So the first quote should probably be

"The interfaces within this section are considered fundamental CSS
interfaces, and must be supported by all conforming
implementations of the CSS DOM module."

Would that make it clearer?

Lauren