RE: Questions about import and Multithreading issues.

I actually do like this answer, I just want it to be explicitly stated in
the DOM Specification, and if it already is, can someone point me to it?

-----Original Message-----
From: www-dom-request@w3.org [mailto:www-dom-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
keshlam@us.ibm.com
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 6:17 PM
To: www-dom@w3.org
Subject: Re: Questions about import and Multithreading issues.

You're not going to like this answer:

Neither DOM Level 1 nor Level 2 makes any promises about supporting
multithreading, and it isn't on the list of high priority items for Level
3. Some individual DOM implementations may provide custom features for this
purpose, or you can implement something at the application layer.

This is recorded on the Open Issues List. But our conclusion so far has
been that we don't understand enough about common usage patterns in the DOM
-- if in fact there are any sufficiently general ones -- to make a
realistic attempt to support the required locking. If we tried to do it
today, we would probably over-serialize the DOM (which could impact
performance), and probably do so on too small a granularity to be useful
(which would mean you'd probably need application-level locking anyway).

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research