Re: Rearranging rows in a table

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:02:26 -0400 (EDT), "Jeff Fink" (jfink@ryos.com)
wrote:

> I want to switch the order of the rows in the table body and there does not
> seem to be a straightforward way to do this. I can write this code:

The better way to do this is to use the interfaces in the DOM Level 1
Core, rather than Level 1 HTML.  The Level 1 HTML is really just a few
convenience things added to Level 1 Core.

Switching the rows can be accomplished in JavaScript by:

var pTBody = document.getElementById("tbl").tBodies[0];
pTBody.insertBefore(pTBody.childNodes.item(1),pTBody.childNodes.item(0));

The second line inserts the second child of the TBODY before the first
child.  This insertion removes the second child from the tree, since
it can't be in the tree twice, and therefore switches the rows.

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >