Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

On 8 Oct 99, at 11:02, David Brownell wrote:

> By the way, I seem to recall that this proposal was made last year too; it's
> not a new one, users have asked for it for quite some time.  And wasn't the
> ability to implement XPath using public APIs a requirement for L2 DOM?

Not that I recall - certainly the DOM should not make it impossible
to implement XPath on top of it. Actual support for XLink and XPath
were deferred until the XLink WG was further along; this has now
happened so in theory (given sufficient people who wish it to
happen and are prepared to help make it happen) such support
could be added to the DOM. If the DOM has something that
precludes implementing XPath on top of it, we need to know about
that of course.

Lauren